World Oceans Day Festival
Family-friendly, fun, and educational
About World Oceans Day
On World Oceans Day, people around our blue planet celebrate and honor the ocean, which connects us all. Get together with your family, friends, community, and the planet to start creating a better future. Working together, we can and will protect our shared ocean. Join this growing global celebration on 8 June !
WHY CELEBRATE WORLD OCEANS DAY?
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival. Every year, World Oceans Day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve our world’s shared ocean. The ocean is important because it:
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration!
NOW EACH OF US CAN GIVE BACK
Participate in a World Oceans Day event or activity this year and help protect the ocean for the future. It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations. World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn – discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard and helping in your community, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will make a difference, and involving your family, friends, and community will benefit our blue planet even more! SEE OUR FACT SHEET
- Celebrate – whether you live inland or on the coast, we are all connected to the ocean. Take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our ocean.
World Oceans Day Festival
World Oceans Day (June 8th) is the UN-recognized day of ocean celebration and action. All around the globe individuals and groups use the day to celebrate, learn about, and do their part to help the ocean. Artist Boat is bringing the international celebration to Galveston with the World Oceans Day Festival!
The 2019 World Oceans Day Festival is Saturday, June 8th, from 10am-6pm, at Stewart Beach in Galveston, Texas. Bring your friends and family and join us in celebrating the ocean right on its doorstep!
Local, regional, and state organizations will come together to provide engaging activities to help visitors understand the human connection to the ocean and the 2019 focus “Plastic Pollution Prevention”.
Marine Debris Art Contest
The World Oceans Day Festival also hosts the Marine Debris Art Contest! Artist and ocean-lovers of all ages can submit pieces to display at the festival. Art pieces are comprised primarily of marine debris and demonstrate the effects aquatic trash can have on our oceans and the life that depends on them. During the festival, our judges will view all submissions, and you can get in on the action too! Visitors can cast their vote for their favorite piece to help determine the People’s Choice Award!
Interested in submitting a piece? View the Call for Art >>>
Vendor/Exhibitor Registration Form
Interactive booths – explore the human connection to the ocean with hands-on activities provided by partner organizations
Music – enjoy live music performed by Th3rd Coast Roots, a “roots rock reggae band inna third coast style”. Check out Th3rd Coast Roots’ Facebook page by clicking here >>>
Yoga – participate in Yoga on the Beach with Kathleen DiNatale and Laughter Yoga with Dennis McFadden from The Yoga Haven
Art – View submissions in the Marine Debris Art Contest submitted by artists and ocean-lovers of all ages and cast your vote for the People’s Choice Award
Schedule: Under Construction
Location and Price
The Artist Boat World Oceans Day Festival is held at Stewart Beach, Galveston’s premier family beach park, where Broadway intersects Seawall Blvd. To learn more about the venue click here >>>
The Festival is FREE. However, Stewart Beach parking fees will apply.
The Galveston Trolley also has a stop at Stewart Beach. For information of Trolley stops, times and prices click here >>>
The Artist Boat World Oceans Day Festival is made possible thanks to support from the Galveston Island Park Board of Trustees and Port Houston.
|Become a Partner!|